Thursday, April 29, 2010

This Saturday Ladies only bikeride 5/1/2010

Good Morning Ladies

Where did April go? This is the first weekend of May, and the start of the second month for our new riders. This month we will be working on cadence. Cadence is the constant rhythm of your paddle stroke. This is my definition, not Webster. You're probably wondering why I chose to introduce this so early in your riding. The reason, because this is the right way to ride. I can wait until you have put more time in the saddle, but it will be like starting over. Take my word for it. I learned how to keep up by pushing the harder gear once I was introduced to cadence. Prior to that I could not keep up and I had not developed the cardio that it takes to ride this way. So now, I start everyone out on the right paddle.

We will be meeting at the Tribe on the NE side of Indian School and Miller in the Fry's Food Parking lot. We will meet at 6 am ready and be ready to ride at 6:30 am. It is going to be hot this weekend so, please prep your water bottles by filling the bottles 1/2 way and putting them in the freezer on a slant. Today, I strongly recommend that you start drinking some form of an electrolite drink as well as plenty of water.

There will be two routes (long and a short)

The riders going long will be trying out a new route "Eagle Mt Ridge", There will be a challenging climb on this course, I know you all can do this. The trick in climbing is not to be afraid of the hill and to keep your upper body out of the climb. Stay relaxed and paddle in a full circle - meaning put equal pressure on the entire paddle, each paddle stroke should be as though you are scrapping mud off the bottom of our shoe. The last trick is, think about how good the downhill is going to feel :). I'm not sure of the total miles, I would say it is about 45+. This will be a SAG supported ride.

The riders that will be doing the short route will have a bit of a challenge also. Our distance will be about 24+ miles. Again this course is mostly flat, so if you haven't been out yet and you are still thinking about it, stop thinking and just come out and join us!

--------------------Another note:
There will be a Multiple Sclerosis wrap up party starting at 11 am to 1 pm, At the Trailhead bike shop on 16th street and Glendale, Phoenix Az. There will be a 2 for 1 sign up on this day for next year's bike ride.


--------------- Linda B has one day to go, here are a few words from Her:


Wednesday, April 28, 2010


Day 56 ......High Springs, FL to Palatka, FL
Wow what a day.....73 miles....the rain cooled things off last evening, so glad it waited until we were finished with dinner....this morning, it was cool, and bright, and yes, that big ol' blue sky was there and that bright yellow sun...all ready for our last major ride before hitting the beach at St. Augustine tomorrow.

In so many ways it seems like we just started yesterday, then in other ways it seems like we've been at this forever. It will feel pretty strange to get back to regular life out of the biking bubble....plastic chairs in parking lots, dinner on our laps (scrumptious food I might add) and always having someone around to laugh with.

We got teary-eyed at dinner tonight, our last one in true tour fashion in the parking lot.....as we each shared our favorite part of the tour...mine of course was happy hour.....and the increase in my personal biking skills. I have each member of the tour to thank for that. Each in their own way has helped me increase my skills...for that I am grateful.

I've also grown as a person, and have learned that I can accomplish what I've set out to do. I look forward to going home.....

Eagerly looking forward to tomorrow and the Atlantic Ocean!
Posted by Linda Beiler - Riding, Riding, Riding at 6:29 PM

Have a great week and I'll see you on Saturday
LaVerne

No comments:

Post a Comment